My Mom - in - Law is a Mangalorean. She introduced a lot of recipes which are so tasty and flavorful. Mangalorean or Konkan Cuisine, incorporates a lot of coconut and the flavors are so subtle and the juiciness of the vegetables remain just the same.
Ivey Gourd or Kovaikkai or Tendli Buthi is one of the recipes I really love eating. I learnt and wanted to immediately share this with all of you.
You will need:
1. Tendli or Ivy Gourd - Finely cut 1 cup
2. Onion - 1 cup finely chopped
3. Oil - to fry
1. Coconut - 2 tsp
2. Dhaniya - 1 tsp
3. Methi/ Fenugreek Seeds - 1 tsp
4. Dry Red Chillies - 3
5. Tamarind - very small ball size
How to go about it:
1. Take a wok or a kadai, add the spices first and dry roast until it sragrant.
2. Add Coconut and roast for a few seconds.
3. Let it cool. Now add the tamarind and grind all this into a smooth paste.
Ivy Gourd and Onion:
1. Heat oil in the kadai or wok.
2. Add Onions and fry till they are transparent.
3. Add the cut Ivy Gourd/Tendli and fry until they are soft and blended well.
4. Add some water (about a cup) and allow the vegetables to boil.
5. Finally, add the smooth masala paste to the vegetables and fry until all are well combined.
5. Serve hot with rice or roti's
Njoy with your loved ones...