Thursday, March 10, 2016

My Cravings & Cauliflower Chops (Saravana Bhavan Style)

Saravana Bhavan is a famous restaurant in Chennai. My most favourite and I just love the food there. There are many dishes that are so famous and delicious in their menu. The famous masala paal, kaima idly and cauliflower chops is one amongst them. 

When I was pregnant, I wanted my delivery to happen in Chennai. One reason was it is the best place and my home. I can't think of another place to give birth to my baby. The other reason was to satisfy my cravings!!!!!!! 



Chennai has some best restaurants. My first craving was to have cauliflower chops and idiyappam and masala paal. The minute I landed in Chennai, the first thing I asked my father was to take to the nearest branch of this restaurant and satisfy my craving. Yes, pregnancy can be weird and if we women don't satisfy our cravings then it is like a godzilla on the lose!! he he he.... 


This is one hell of a recipe!! I would not I was 100% perfect with the taste. But I reached there almost. I loved it because, in Pune there is no Saravana Bhavan and cravings are not just for pregnancy. So when I want to eat this favourite dish of mine I can always make it. 


Let's jump right into the recipe....

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Author: Sindhu Murali (Champa) 
Serves: 3

What would you need:
  1. Cauliflower florets - 10 - 12 (cut in medium sizes)
  2. Oil - 2 tbsp
  3. Cinnamon - 2 sticks
  4. Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
  5. Cloves - 3
  6. Onions - 3 (grind to paste)
  7. Tomatoes - 2 (grind to paste)
  8. Salt - to taste
  9. Red chilli powder - to taste
  10. Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
  11. Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
  12. Coriander leaves - a bunch (to garnish)
  13. Mint leaves - a few (to garnish)
  14. Saunf - 1 tsp
To grind:
  1. Fresh grated coconut - 3 tbsp
  2. Poppy seeds (khus khus) - 1 tsp
  3. Roasted gram dal (chutney dal/ odaitha kadalai) - 2 tsp
  4. Saunf - 2 tsp
How to go about it:
  1. Clean, wash and cut the florets and keep aside. 
  2. Take all the ingredients listed under "to grind" and grind into a fine, thick paste by adding little water. 
  3. In a pan, add oil. Once hot, add cinnamon, cloves and onion paste. Add ginger garlic paste and fry nicely until oil separates and the raw aroma is off. 
  4. Add the ground tomato paste and fry again until oil separates.
  5. Now add the cut florets and all the masala (coriander powder, salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder). Add water and cook the florets well
  6. Once the florets are cooked, slightly mash them so that the entire mixture comes together.
  7. Finally add the ground masala paste. Give it a nice stir and let everything cook for about 10 minutes.
  8. Add the chopped mint and coriander leaves and mix. 
  9. Serve hot with idiyappam, parottas or dosas
Enjoy with your luved ones...

Luv

Champa


No comments:

Post a Comment