Friday, April 11, 2014

Kavunna Arisi Payasam (Black Rice Payasam)

Black Rice, also known as Purple Rice or Forbidden Rice in China. It is rich in antioxidants. This has been in my to - do list for such a long time. Since this rice is a rare species in Chennai, I could not get even a cup of it. 


But then, I happen to visit an exhibition called The Madras Market. And when I saw this black beauty.... what else??? jumped at it immediately. 

This recipe was introduced to me by Meena Akka. She is a wonderful cook. Since, the day I tasted it, I wanted to make it. So lets go about it!!!




What you need:

1. Black Rice - a fistful 
2. Sugar - according to you taste
3. Cardamom Powder - 2 tsp.
4. Milk - 3/4 liter

How to do:

1.  Soak the rice in water for about 5 hours. This will soften it and make it easy to pressure cook.
2. Pressure cook the rice until soft. At least to 5 or 6 whistles. Add about 2 1/2 cups of water for a fist of rice. 
3. Now, in a pan boil milk. Reduce the quantity of milk and add the cooked rice. Let this mixture cook for sometime, so that the milk would turn into beautiful purple colour. 
4. Add sugar and cardamom powder to the payasam. Cook for few more minutes and serve. 



Add On:

You can even add Saffron strands and Milk Maid to this. But I felt the payasam tasted good just as it was. The munchy texture of the rice was really good...

Serve hot / cold...

njoy with your loved ones....

Luv...

Champa  







No comments:

Post a Comment