Saturday, July 19, 2014

Mango Milkshake Panna Cotta

Panna Cotta is an Italian Dessert, basically cooking cream and milk with sugar and set with gelatin. I read about this wonderful dessert long time back, and added to my to do list. Recently, I made a fruit jelly with gelatin. It turned out so bad that the jelly was actually smelling bad!! Then one of my friend's suggested that I can make a similar one with Agar Agar. 

I've studied and used Agar Agar in my Post Graduation (Microbiology). We use this to solidify media for the micro organism to grow. I never knew that it can be used in making desserts too!!! Then I started researching on Agar Agar in Panna Cotta. Actually, there are a lot of references and blogs where people have used this and made desserts like Panna Cotta, Fruit Jelly etc. Agar Agar is available in flakes and powdered form. In my recipe, I used the powdered one. 



The picture above is the brand of Agar Agar powder I used for my recipe. This particular product costs almost Rs. 3000/- in India. Hence, I had to source from the States. This is also known as China Grass. 

I referred a lot of recipes on the net, and finally thought I should make Mango Flavoured Panna Cotta, because Mangoes are going bid farewell soon!!! So here is my Mango Milkshake Panna Cotta.



What you need:
  1. Mango Pulp - 1 1/2 cups
  2. Milk - 1 cup
  3. Sugar - 4 - 5 tbsp
  4. Agar Agar Powder - 2 tsp
  5. Water - 4 tbsp
How to go about it:
  1. First, make your mango milkshake and heat it mildly for few minutes. Keep it aside.
  2. Now, in a vessel, add water and bring it to a boil. Add the Agar Agar Powder and keep stirring. The Agar should completely dissolve in the water. The mixture would become cloudy and thick. 
  3. Bring the agar mixture and the mango milkshake to lukewarm condition. Agar should be mixed to any liquid only when its lukewarm. Otherwise, it would help in the setting of the dessert that you make.
  4. Once mixed, pour this mixture to serving glasses or any refrigerator proof dish and set it overnight.
  5. Serve it with ice cream of your choice or freshly cut mango slices or puree.
  6. Panna Cotta should be creamy in texture and should wobble when you slice it and place it on the dish.

Njoy with you loved ones...

Love...

Champa








No comments:

Post a Comment