Thursday, March 12, 2015

Dadyonam (Curd Rice)

Dahi as we all know is curd (yoghurt). Annam is Rice. Dadyonam is curd rice. The Dadyonam is a speciality of Tamil Iyengars (a sub sect of tamil brahmins) It originated from Tamil Nadu and it is also made in other parts of South India. 

Dadyonam is offered as a prasadam in many vaishnavite temples. Curd rice is very simple yet if soul fulfilling, soothing to the body. The temples make it with a simple tempering of mustard and dry red chilies, where as the ones made in the weddings have dry fruits and fresh grapes, pomegranates.

The creamy curd with nicely mashed rice..... It takes you to heaven and not even one step lesser.


I have this fetish with curd rice. I've never had a liking to curd since childhood. I always wanted  my mother to always mix the curd rice, because I never liked to even touch it. But after my delivery, I started liking curd and I make curd rice to my daughter just like how my mother does it for me.


We enjoy curd rice with pickles, vatha kuzhambu, moru molaga etc...



What you need:

Serves - 2

  1. Rice - 1/4 cup
  2. Thick Curd - 1 cup
  3. Butter - 2 tsp
  4. Milk - 1/4 cup
  5. Salt - to taste
  6. Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
  7. Curry Leaves - a bunch
  8. Coriander Leaves -  a bunch
  9. Asafortida - a pinch
  10. Grapes - 1/4 cup (halved)
 How to go about it:

  1. Over cook rice and keep aside. The grains should not be separate as to how you would cook for biryani. They should be literally be pasty. 
  2. Mash the rice well and add the butter and milk when hot. 
  3. Now add the curd, salt and coriander leaves.
  4. Make the tempering and add to the mixture.
  5. Finally top in the grapes and refrigerate it.
  6. Serve chilled with a variety of pickles...
Njoy with your loved ones...

Luv...

Champa

1 comment:

  1. I really like your Blog. Thanks to Admin for Sharing this Cooking Idea. Addition to this here I am Contributing one more Similar Stories How to make Curd Rice (Andhra style Dahi Annam)?.

    ReplyDelete