Kerala is not just God's own country for the scenic places, but for its cuisine too. I'm a big fan of Kerala Cuisine. One, the curries are so light to taste, fresh ingredients. Second, Coconut!!! I just love the aroma of coconut oil, milk etc in what ever way its used.
Pathiri, a rice bread from Kerala is a tough guy to make. But to eat!!! wow!! its was so soft fluffy and with the stew its a perfect partner. I tried this from a book Simply South that was gifted by my dear friend Arpita for my wedding. So this is a dedication to her.
The ingredients are simple. But you need a macho arm to make the dough!! Was a perfect gym exercise!!!
- Boil water in a heavy based pan. Add salt and oil to the boiling water and take it off the stove.
- With a whisk add in the rice flour little by little to the water and mix without any lumps continuously. Once all the water is absorbed, keep the dough aside and let it cool.
- Once the dough is cooled completely, knead it by hand to make it pliable. You can even add very little oil.
- Divide into equal sized balls and roll them into roti sized pathiri's.
- Heat a tawa and cook the pathiri's . They will puff up on their own.
- Serve with Stew or any coconut based curry.
What you need:
- Onions - 3 chopped into julienne
- Cut Vegetables - Carrots, Cauliflowers. (you can also use french beans, peas)
- Coconut Milk - Take 3 extracts of the coconut (1st, 2nd, 3rd Milk)
- Green Chilies - 2 slit lengthwise
- Ginger - cut into thin lengthwise slices
- Pepper - 5 - 6 nos.
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Cinnamon - small stick
- Cloves - 3 nos.
- Oil & Ghee - 2 tsp (mixed)
- Salt - to taste
How to go about it:
- Heat ghee oil mixer in a pan. Add the spices, green chilies and ginger to it and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the onions and toss them until they are fragrant and pink.
- Now toss in the vegetables, salt, 3rd extract of the coconut milk. Cover and let the vegetables cook completely.
- Now add the second extract and mix for a minute. Do not let it come to a boil. Immediately, add the 1st and thicker extract and remove the pan from heat. Otherwise, the coconut milk will curdle.
- Serve hot, with pathiri's.
Njoy with your loved one's