Thursday, April 12, 2012

Thamizh Varida Pirappu (Tamil New Year) A New Beginning

Tamizh Puthaandu Nal Vaazhtukkal.....Happy Tamil New Year's Day....

The Tamil New Year follows the Nirayanam vernal equinox and generally falls either on 13 or 14 April of the Gregorian year. 13 or 14 April marks the first day of the traditional Tamil calendar. It is a government holiday in Tamil Nadu, but me being in Pune!!! hmmm (sigh) no holiday....But one nice news is??? I can post a recipe!!!

I love celebrating, anything!! for that matter....Cooking combined with celebrations is a double bonanza...is it not?? So here I'm posting a recipe sitting at my work place (ufff how addictive blogging can get!!!). But the very thought of sharing makes me go berserk with excitement. There was a problem with my internet connection and I could not post recipies at all!!!. Now got a moment to post one of my favorite recipies on this wonderful day.... So here it goes 

I'm posting today, one of favorite recipies, that's quick and tastes so good....and so rich... of course a sweet recipe...

This one was taught to me by my mother who in turn learnt from her mother. So it is a time tested recipe. And it's really tasty...ummmm.... my hubby dearest likes it very much... The recipe is 

Pal Payasam (Rice Kheer) 


Yeah, its a wonderful desert and I love the flavour....

You will need:

1. Rice - a fistful 
2. Milk - 1 liter
3. Sugar - according to sweetness - I added about 8 - 9 tsp.
4. Condesed Milk - 1/2 to 3/4 cup.
5. Cardamom - 3 - 4 pods powdered
6. Saffron - a few strands (soak the strands in warm milk)



You should start:

1. Take the rice (about a fistful) in a vessel and clean thoroughly.
2. Add milk along with the rice and pressure cook to three whistles.
3. Once the pressure comes down, give the mixture a stir and add sugar and pressure cook again. 
4. Once the pressure is down, remove the vessel and keep stirring over a medium flame.
5. Now add the Condensed Milk and stir again, adjust the sugar according to your taste.
6. Now add the powdered cardamom and saffron and stir for few seconds for the flavors to sink in.
7. Serve hot or cold. (I like it hot and my hubby likes it cold)

Njoy with your luved ones....

Luv 

Sindhu

No comments:

Post a Comment