A very pungent, yet little sweet, tangy and extremely tasty side for idly's and dosa's. This is a must have in every tambram household and we cannot do without it. We usually refer making this powder as 'thirikkardhu' in tamil. I always would wonder why in english its named as Gunpowder??? but then the pungency of this one is more powerful and as equal to getting shot I guess!!!
What you need:
- Dry red chilies - 1 cup
- Urad dal - 1/2 cup
- Channa dal - 1/4 cup
- Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
- Black/ White sesame seeds - 2/3 tsp
- Coconut oil - 1 tbsp
- Tamarind - a small lemon sized ball
- Jaggery - according to your preference
- Salt - to taste
How to go about it:
- First, dry roast the sesame seeds until fragrant and keep aside.
- Add oil to a pan, coconut oil is the best. If you donot prefer the aroma of the same then you can use refined oil. But no ghee or olive oil.
- Roast each ingredient except jaggery and tamarind until they are aromatic. You can add the hing/ asafoetida to any of the dal so that it gets mixed along with the ingredients.
- Spread all of them on a plate and let them cool down completely.
- Add the chilies and the sesame seeds to a mixer jar first and grind them. Now add the rest of the ingredients and salt and powder it. You can do it a little coarse if you like the crunchiness of the dals on your palate or to a fine powder.
- Again, cool the powder and then store it in a dry airtight container.
- You can increase or decrease the quantity of the chilies according to your taste.
- While you roast the chilies, make sure they do not turn black. This will spoil the taste. You need to keep tossing them continuously to avoid this.
- Increasing the quantity of the dals will make the powder a little less spicy. But, if you prefer then you can even increase the same.
- This powder can be stored easily upto 5 or 6 months in room temperature and if you freeze it it can be stored upto a year.
- Some people add dry roasted coconut (kobra). Adding this is upto one's preference. But the shelf life would not be long.
- Do not consume the powder on the day it is made as it is extremely pungent. Let it rest for a day or two.
Serve with a big splosh of gingelly oil or ghee....that makes it even more heavenly!!!!
Njoy with your loved ones...