Kuzhipaniyaram is from the famous Chettinadu of Tamil Nadu. Made for breakfast, tiffin with hot and spicy tomato chutney. This is made on a special paniyaram pan. Generally, we do it with dosa batter that is about 3 days old. The sourness is the highlight of this savory dish. The crunch of the onions, spice of the green chilies and freshness of coriander ginger makes it really wonderful to eat.
These are made from homemade instant batter and tasted really great!!
What you need:
- Rice flour - 1 cup
- Poha (Aval) - 1/2 cup
- Baking Soda - 1 tbsp
- Fermented curd - 1 1/4 cup
- Onion - finely chopped
- Green chilies - 2 (de seeded and chopped finely)
- Ginger - finely chopped
- Coriander - finely chopped
- Tadka of mustard seeds, curry leaves and urad dal
- Oil - to fry the paniyaram
How to go about it:
- Dry roast the poha for about 2 minutes and grind it to a fine powder.
- In a bowl, add the ground poha, rice flour, curd, baking soda and beat together. You should get a batter which is not too watery and at the same time too thick.
- Add the chopped onions, coriander, ginger, green chilies, salt.
- Give a tadka of mustard seeds and curry leaves and add this to the batter.
- Finally, add salt.
- In your paniyaram pan, add oil to each hole. Add the batter and cook.
- Serve with hot tomato chutney or coconut chutney.
- For the sweeter variation, take a cup of Jaggery and melt it in water. Filter and mix it to the batter.
- Cook the same way to make sweet appams.
Njoy with your loved ones...