Childhood memories of food are so fond that you always remember that particular flavor. Grand parents are a blessing indeed. They spoil us to the bone and yet imbibe so many values in us.
My grand mother, I call her Iron Lady of our family. She has the will power of the strongest metal in the world yet she is so caring and lovable. She is the bestest cook in the world.
The Carrot Halwa that I had first was made by her. I've never tasted anything like that. So juicy, so sweet, flavorful and rich!!! I made this also the way she did.
- Red Halwa Carrots - 1 1/kg
- Sugar - 1 1/2 cups
- Milk - 1/2 litre
- Ghee - 6 tbsp
- Cashew nuts and raisins - 1/4 cup
- Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
How to go about it:
- Grate the carrots and keep them ready.
- Saute the cashews and the raisins in a tablespoon of ghee and keep aside.
- Heat about 3 tbsp of ghee in a heavy bottomed pan and add the grated carrots. Saute them for about 15 - 20 minutes. The carrots will change colour and will be half cooked by now. The raw smell should not be there by this time.
- Add milk and keep stirring them until almost all of the milk is absorbed and the carrots are cooked thoroughly.
- Add sugar now and keep stirring now and then. The sugar would start to caramelize and on the sides of the pan they will start to bubble off once you stir them. At the time add 2 tbsp of ghee.
- You can now see that the halwa would come together to a homogenised mixture. Add cardamom powder and the sauteed dry fruits and mix.
- Serve hot with cold vanilla ice cream.
Njoy with your loved ones....